On August 18th, the Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS) Directorate hosted a panel discussion by four highly distinguished Black scientists, moderated by the MPS Assistant Director, Dr. Sean Jones. The discussion addressed the panelists’ life experiences, the inequities limiting participation of Black people in science and engineering, and the panelists’ ideas for effective remedies. Their comments, experiences, and conversations will likely provide you with new insights about the diverse and intertwined challenges faced by Black scientists and engineers at all career stages.
This panel was recorded and is available for viewing here. We encourage you to watch it.
- Dr. Peter Green, Deputy Director for Science and Technology, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Dr. Paula Hammond, Head, Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dr. Eric Wilcots, Dean of the College of Letters and Science, University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Dr. Ulrica Wilson, Associate Professor of Mathematics, Morehouse College
- Moderator: Dr. Sean Jones, NSF Assistant Director for Mathematical and Physical Sciences.