The Biological Sciences directorate recently published the new EDGE (Enhancing Discovery through GEnomics Tools) solicitation (20-532), which includes some notable changes that may represent a new opportunity for investigators who would typically seek funding from DEB. It has two tracks:
- Functional Genomic Tools Track
- Complex Multigenic Traits Track
The most significant change is the incorporation of a complex multigenic traits track to support hypothesis-driven research aimed at linking genotypes to phenotypes. This track was included to promote the development of theory, tools, and approaches that will enable prediction of quantitative traits for a diversity of organisms in a variety of contexts (environmental, developmental, social, and/or genomic). Its inclusion is an explicit acknowledgment of the fact that many biologically and ecologically relevant traits are the result of interactions among multiple genes, many of which may have small effect and whose expression depends on the dynamics of regulatory networks.
Those who study the evolution and expression of ecologically relevant traits, plant microbial interactions, microbial metabolism and community structure, and behavior may be particularly interested in the solicitation. There is no deadline associated with this solicitation. If you are interested in learning more about this funding opportunity, please read the solicitation, email the EDGE Working Group (BIOEDGE@nsf.gov) with specific questions about proposed research, and attend the upcoming webinar on January 31.
Event: EDGE Program Webinar
Date/Time: Friday, January 31, 2020, from 2:00pm – 3:00pm Eastern Time
- Event Number: 906 284 287
- Event Password: Edge2020!
- For audio: USA/Canada dial Toll-free: 1-888-946-8386 or Toll: 1-415-228-4878 and announce passcode EDGE. To listen to audio via the internet go to: https://event.on24.com/wcc/r/2172014-1/5220AC6F458CFD7CBCCB12BD5A4806AB
- Captions: View real-time captions at: www.fedrcc.us/ by clicking “Join Now” and entering event ID # 4311899.
- Questions: Submit questions via WebEx Q&A for response during the live webinar.