The annual deadline for the next round of Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Biology (PRFB) is November 7th, 2017. There’s a great “How to Apply” guide on the PRFB website that walks you through each step of the application process. You must be affiliated with an institution the entire tenure of the fellowship. You must also register as an Independent Researcher through https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/ before you can submit to the Program.
Applicants submit to one of three categories called “competitive areas.” These categories differ in award duration, research scope, and eligibility requirements. The competitive areas are: 1) Broadening Participation in Biology, 2) Interdisciplinary Research Using Biological Collections, 3) National Plant Genome Initiative Postdoctoral Research Fellowships.
To qualify for the first two competitive areas, Broadening Participation and Interdisciplinary Research Using Biological Collections, postdocs cannot have served in any full-time position that requires a doctoral degree for more than 6 months prior to the deadline. For the third competitive area, National Plant Genome Initiative, it’s less than 12 months. In sum, these fellowships are for postdocs who very recently received a PhD.
A completed PRFB application will contain the following sections and each is outlined and described in more detail in the solicitation;
- NSF Cover Page
- Fastlane application form (this form can only be accessed in FastLane)
- Project Summary (one page, only)
- Project Description (limited to 6 pages, including all figures and tables)
- References Cited (no page limit)
- Biographical Sketch (page limit of 2)
- Current and Pending Support (be sure and include current and planned submissions to other fellowship programs)
- Two letters of reference (submitted directly to FastLane by the letters’ authors)
The duration of the fellowship for the first two competitive areas is 24-36 continuous months, while that of the third competitive area is 36 continuous months. As for the award amounts, please see the solicitation. For additional questions about the PRFB, please email email@example.com and best of luck!